Thursday, November 16, 2017

No Elephants or Menstruation at the Elephant Temple

On my third day in Ubud i hired a driver to take me to some of the far flung sites. It was nice to drive through the countryside, seeing villages and suburbs, with people going on with daily life, all with the picturesque scenery. We stopped to gawk at more rice terraces, which i really cannot get enough of.

I went to the Goa Gajah temple/cave, also known as the elephant cave or temple, which is odd, as there is nothing elephant-like about it. It is just an 11th C temple with a cool cave you enter through the mouth of a carved demon head. There are also pools with sacred water, but the nicest part was the walk up and down stairs in the lush forest to visit a Buddhist temple and lily covered pond. 




I also visited Gunung Kawi which is one of the oldest temples/monuments in the country (so sayeth Lonely Planet). This one forces you up and down hundreds of stairs to descend into a valley to see ruins and temples, then forces you to hike up and down to visit other temples that are less impressive than their jungle settings. I was exhausted and sweaty, but the walking was beautiful. Plus, how could i complain when i wasn't walking those same stairs with a giant sack of wood or plants on my head like some i saw. 



When visiting these and a number of other temples here, if you're scantily dressed (i.e. shorts) you will be made to wear a sarong to cover your naked legs - a measure i appreciated as there are a lot of people wearing shorts who shouldn't be (plus, men look good in sarongs). I was covered shoulder to toe in black, so i was good to enter, but the temples here have one additional warning: women may not enter if they are menstruating. Each temple had multiple signs to this effect though there was no one checking as far as i could tell. I can't imagine any tourist abiding by this prohibition, but consider yourself warned.


That night, after dinner, i went to a traditional dance show in Ubud. (They are happing nightly as far as i could tell.) i'm not a big fan of dance, but thought this would be worth taking in. It was. It isn't dance in a traditional, western way; it's more like theatre/mask work and movement. There was a large live percussion (+ one flute) band and each vignette featured one or more dancers with elaborate costumes and masks. It was beautiful. What was not beautiful was the crowd who were the rudest bunch of douchbags. They took photos through the whole show - with flashes - standing up, walking  around, taking videos...and did i mention the photos with flash? They also reviewed and edited their pictures during the show. I wanted to slay them all, but i didn't. I just say there silently hating them and trying not to let that hatred ruin the show.  When the cast came out for the curtain call, one of them said that NOW we could take photos. Here's mine:


But the show was great and very good value.


The next day in Ubud, my final full day there, i started out in great spirits and went to the market after breakfast to do my shopping. I always save my shopping for the final day, once i know how much money i still have and how much things cost. 


There wasn't much i wanted for myself - a pair of earrings, some coffee beans, and maybe some tiny trinket - but i had things for others to get. The market is great fun for browsing and haggling. (Prices seem to be about s third of the first price asked.)


Lots of clothing, carved wooden things, paintings, tea and spices, art, baskets, and the usual tacky stuff. 


I finished by shopping just as the daily downpour started. I got caught outside for two minutes max, and i was soaked through. I spent the rest of the day hiding out in cafes and smoking cigars on my covered hotel balcony. 


When the rain did let up i returned to the monkey forest for a bit more monkey action.

I felt kind of melancholy that day. I think it was one day too long in Ubud. It is lovely, but i like to be a bit busier or maybe it was just that my trip is wrapping up, but i felt down. All that went away the next morning when i left Ubud for Denpasar. When in doubt, move on.

No comments: