Tuesday, April 3, 2018

8 hours in Lyon

It makes absolutely no sense. I wanted to fly from Montasir (the airport near Sousse, Tunisia to Djerba, Tunisia. The flight should have taken an hour. Maybe. The buses were too slow and the train doesn't go to the island of Djerba, so I was set on flying and doing so today. Well, the only flight that came up in multiple searches was a flight from Montasit, to Lyon, France, and to Djerba. It seemed ludicrous...but the flight did offer an 8 hour layover in Lyon. That was appealing. I haven't been to France in years and never to Lyon. So I booked it.
When I arrived at the airport for my 6:30am flight, the guys at check in thought it was crazy. One even offered to put me on a flight that connected in Tunis, but I declined. I was already looking forward to a coffee in the old city.

An 8 hour layover doesn't mean 8 hours of walking around Lyon. It means 5 hours max. There are a few tricks to these just-long-enough-to-leave-the-airport layovers. I try to check in for both flights at the beginning and check my bag through to the end, so I'm not messing around with bag collection and checking in. That wasn't possible for this flight, so I took my bag as a carry on and left it in the luggage storage at the train station. I also study ahead of time. If you've only got a half day, there isn't time to figure out when you are there what you want to see or do. So I do my homework and determine what areas I want to visit and what I want to see and how I am going to get around. If I can (as I did in Lyon), I buy my transit tickets online ahead of time and I get foreign currency before landing so I don't have to waste time in queues. And most importantly, I study maps intently. Like I am planning a bank job. I want to know, as much as possible, what exit to take from the metro and which bridge to walk across and what street to turn left on when I get to the other side. This satisfies both my desire to make good use of my short layover and my fondness for maps.

It all worked well today. I probably could have even spent another hour in the city but I didn't want to risk missing my plane.

I took the express airport train and then the metro to Vieux Lyon; the old city...and also the most touristy, but it is popular with visitors for a reason. The streets are so charming, with old buildings hung with old signs, narrow lanes lined with cheese shops and quaint cafés, patisseries, and churches. 
And overlooking it all is a cathedral on a hill. 

I walked up and down the streets, stopping for a coffee and a pink praline tart - apparently Lyonnaise specialty. So good and disgustingly sweet. 
I walked down the river for a bit, photographing churches and buildings. 

Back on to the Rue Ste Jean, looking for number 53 or 54 and for a plain door, which would lead to one of the many traboules - hidden passages which lead between buildings to other streets and also to private residences. There are apparently 315 of them, but only a few are accessible or known to the public. According to the good book (Lonely Planet) some of them date to Roman times and the rest were in the 19th century. It was indeed a long passage, in some places providing access to apartments. Who doesn't love secret passages? If only i had to pull a candlestick to gain access.
I then took the funicular up to the Basilica Notre Dame de Fourvière, which is a beautiful 19th century cathedral overlooking the city. There were priests wandering around, as well as worshippers, but they were outnumbered by tourists, so I was able to take pictures. 

I then walked to Place Bellecour and took the train to Hotel de Ville to see some of the fancy buildings in that area.
At that point i headed back to the airport. I probably could have spent another hour, but I didn't want to be rushing to catch my flight. I saw what I wanted to see, had an afternoon in France, and was on my way back to Tunisia.

1 comment:

Betty-Lou said...

I love the idea of flying from Tunisia to France for the afternoon.