Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Lucerne

I awoke on day two in Switzerland to grey skies. I had a coffee and picked up some breakfast from my favorite eatery in Zurich - the local supermarket. (It's preferable to spending a small fortune on coffee and breakfast.) Made a bee-line to the train station and caught a morning train to Lucerne. It was scheduled to leave at 4mins past the hour and at exactly that time, it started to roll. About 45 minutes later we arrived in Lucerne with Swiss precision.  


I think I did the right thing by not going to Lucerne on a weekend, when it is teeming with tourists I am told. Things weren't too busy on a Monday morning and i managed to get ahead of the one bus group I spied. To be fair to the tourists, it wasn't like i was there to do research; we were all walking around photographing the same buildings. I'm just happier doing it away from other people. 


The draw for Lucerne is that it is a charming town, easily walkable, with a number of old, decorative buildings, and a notable covered bridge. It is a perfect day trip from Zurich.



The day started out cold and grey, but finished up cold and sunny. Regardless, I Loved wandering the town. Every turn revealed some beautifully painted building, ornate fountain, or church square. There was one church in particular that had these huge, carved, wooden doors, one of which opened slowly when i approached it...but there was  no one on the other side. "(The holy) ghosts!" I thought, but i watched as a couple walked in about 5 minutes after me and the door opened for them too, so I figured it was an automatic thing, which made more sense. Still though, it's a creepy feature; like a petty miracle to convince non-believers to sign up. God saw you coming and he says, Come in.



There were no hi-jinx or misadventures; it was just lovely. I walked a million steps and then climbed up a bunch of stairs to get a better look at some ramparts (they don't merit close inspection, as it turns out, but the walk was nice). 


I had lunch from the supermarket. (Was going to splurge on daal and rice but couldn't justify the expense). More walking until i felt like i had visited every historical sight in the city, at which point i trained back to Zurich.


I chilled at my abode for a couple hours and had coffee with my host. We discussed, amongst other things how expensive Zurich is (including its health care apparently, which surprised me) and how much we hate the current administration of the U.S. 


In the evening i went to another cigar lounge - Manuel's. it was very busy with business type men. I loved the room and the cigar selection but did't find it as friendly as the lounge from the previous night. Still, sitting in a cigar-smoking room without judgment (and, in this case, also enjoying a coffee martini) is a rare treat. 


The next day i was supposed to fly to Tunis in the morning but my flight was delayed until the evening, so i had a bonus day. I really wanted to go to to this medical museum where they have wax figures showing various diseases (it looks awesome) but it is only open Wednesdays and Fridays, so i walked all the banks of the centre of town (which lies along two rivers and with a lake at the end), enjoying the sun.


I went to the museum, which is small enough to be manageable and has some good exhibits, but is terribly organized. I had to ask for directions multiple times after the second floor completely disappeared.


Finally i had a cigar on the Bahnofstrasse in the sun and people watched until it was time for my train to the airport. (Again, i didn't want to spend $30 on a sandwich and coffee.) I was particularly baffled how the people in Zurich really don't dress any differently from the people in Vancouver, but they look so much better. Better jeans? Nicer sneakers? Or maybe it is because they are all thin - probably because they can't afford to eat much. 


On to Tunis.


1 comment:

Betty-Lou said...

I enjoyed this post. Switzerland sounds lovely but I look forward to hearing about Tunisia.