Monday, March 26, 2018

Zurich

Zürich is one of those places that I never had any interest in. Or it's not that I was disinterested; I just didn't give it much thought. I figured Switzerland would be lovely but not life-changing. It seemed like a perfect place to spend a couple of days enroute to Tunsia. A couple days of charming Cobble-stoned streets, pan au chocolat, and ornate churches before the real vacation begins. Plus, it's a chance to go somewhere new. 


As I write this I am in a smokey cigar room in Zürich (Manuel's) smoking an H.Upmann magnum 50 and surrounded by men smoking, drinking, and conversing in German. I know it is an unpopular opinion, but I find German to be a very...appealing sounding language. I am happy. 


I arrived yesterday morning. Early. Having flown from Vancouver I slept only a couple hours on the plane and only a couple the night before. I was somewhat delirious, but delighted. Zürich was -is- lovely. Pretty, decorative buildings, cute storefronts, calm squares, and rows of enticing cafés. The sun was out. I had taken the train from the airport and emerged in the light at the end of the Bahnhofstrasse - the main thoroughfare through the old town. My first sight was a Davidoff cigar store and lounge. I had chosen my destination wisely. 



The hotels and even the hostels were all too expensive, so I opted for an Airbnb, at an apartment shared with its owner in the middle of the old town. I met my host by accident on the street near his building. A nice fellow, he showed me my accommodations, which were more that adequate. Certain friends of mine were certain he would murder me, as his airbnb listing had no reviews and after i booked it he deleted the listing. Nearly 48 hours later and i am still alive. 


After getting settled, i set off to explore the old city. It is exactly what one would expect. Very pretty and great for walking. The wide streets give way to winding pedestrian alleys, lined with antique shops, clothiers, watch shops. Eventually one inevitably finds their way to the river (the Limmet ) which winds through the city, various narrow bridges linking the sides, swans gliding underneath. The sun was shining and , although the city was extremely quiet, there were people out strolling and riding bikes, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes along the banks. 



I walked for hours, stopping for the odd coffee, stopping to visit churches and squares. Finally, i stopped for lunch at Haus Hitl, apparently the oldest vegetarian restaurant in the world. (Very good, but too many choices for me.) 


I then walked back across the river to visit the Kunsthaus, an art museum. It was good. I recommend it. The problem was, at that point I was severely exhausted. I refuse to nap when arriving half way around the world. It is important to commit to the local schedule to combat lingering jet lag. But i was suffering. I had, about an hour, earlier nodded off over a coffee at the Café Voltaire. At the Kunsthaus I literally started to fall asleep on my feet several times and then dozed on a bench while gazing at a Kandinsky. It was rough. 


I revived myself at the Hotel Storchen, where they have a perfect cigar lounge. Cozy, well stocked and staffed, with medieval stained glass windows and jazz music. I smoked a Bolivar and chatted with a man formerly of Canada, now a citizen of the world. I walked back to my abode in the dark and collapsed with exhaustion.


A couple of observations. Zurich is small and quiet. A day or two would be sufficient to take in its sights. Stores (ALL stores) close on Sunday by law. No supermarkets, pharmacies, convenience stores...nothing. Just bars, cafes, restaurants, and churches are open. Prostitution is legal. I haven't seen a single beggar or homeless person (i assume they exist, but i haven't seen any). Much more German is spoken than French. And it is super expensive. A coffee in a not fancy café averages $7, more for a cappuccino. A lentil curry at a shabby Indian restaurant is about $30. My round trip train ticket to Lucerne (45 minutes each way, in the cheap class) was $75. Other than my lunch at Haus Hitl, all my meals have been from supermarkets. An apple, piece of cheese and pretzel was $13. I'm thankful i brought some coffee and cliff bars with me. Cigars, thankfully, are the only reasonably priced item i have found. 


The other saving grace is that the water here is drinkable and the city is filled with these stunning fountains from which you can fill your water bottle. So i'm hydrated, but a bit hungry. Tunisia will be a serious bargain by comparison. 


1 comment:

Betty-Lou said...

Another Wandering North adventure. Whether I am part of it, or reading about it, you open the world to me. ❤️